The Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or the Federal Tax Identification Number, is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.
How do you get an EIN?
- You may apply for an EIN online if your principal business is located in the United States or U.S. Territories.
- The person applying online must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, EIN).
- You are limited to one EIN per responsible party per day.
Step 2: Understand the Online Application
- You must complete this application in one session, as you will not be able to save and return at a later time.
- Your session will expire after 15 minutes of inactivity, and you will need to start over.
Step 3: Submit Your Application
- After all validations are done you will get your EIN immediately upon completion. You can then download, save, and print your EIN confirmation notice.